RSS

In the Beginning.

I finally got the courage to start a blog....I was always envious of others who so humbly shared their successes and failures. Who shared wisdom and stories. I cannot promise what I have to share or that it will be always be exciting but this blog will account for a young 20 something trying to survive in this world of "want" with a dream of "simple".

So to start us off I am going to share a failure that happened to me. Today I had to cull a chicken. The sweet austerlop was only a pullet and sadly had been attacked by our Rhode Island Red. There was nothing poetic about it or earth shattering but I do feel like it was life changing. For me.

I have dabbled in the urban farming for the past year and as of yet had done none of the "dirty work" that is involved with farming. I secretly felt false and fake. Scared that when the moment came I would chicken out...no pun intended. Though I did what had to do. It was difficult, and unjust but that is the world at times. The after effects are still forming and brewing in my backyard I do not know if this invasion of the real world will radically change my safe place but I do take comfort in the fact that it now feels real. This is not a fad for me. This is my life. I sometimes have to get dirty, make mistakes and then take care of those mistakes and for me in my double lot in NoPo I have fully committed to this lifestyle and while I say this with a sad heart I am ready for this journey and invite you to learn/love/cry with me as it evolves.

Lacy

0 comments:

Post a Comment