RSS

The Yard right now....

I know these croscuses won't win any beauty awards but to be honest they are the favorite thing I have in my yard. They are what I wait for to pop up, not only because they scream spring but they carry a sense of belonging and history to me.  


Before we bought our house I had moved every 6 months (or even more frequently some years) for the previous 4 years.  I dreamed of having a garden, of being able to watch things evolve, grow and create my "vision".  To put things into the ground and not always into pots.  So when we finally got our house (it was late august) the first thing I planted was those crocus bulbs (also planted some daffodils thought the chickens seem to love those for a little snack..oy).  So much was changing and so much was hoped on.  Our blank slate of a house and yard was overwhelming, exciting.  Though by august there was little to do, and honestly little funds or energy to devote. One bag of bulbs was what I had.  And with each bulb a little promise of what was to come, a whisper of my dreams, fears, and hopes.  Fall came, Winter lasted forever and then in the spring up they came reminding me of that August.  It also made me stop for a moment and go back over the year.  As it does every year that they pop up, each year multiplying just a bit more.  I am so thankful to be heading towards our 4th summer here and honestly while the land is a bit less of a blank slate there is still a lot of work to be done.  


Here is where we are at now:
Our "chicken proof" raised beds.  In the middle is garlic and the ground cover is coming in nicely.  I actually forgot what ground cover I used so if anyone has any ideas that would be great...
(note to self: create a garden notebook..)

An artichoke is actually already coming up! Planted this last year thanks to our warm winter it is already growing up a ton of new leaves.  
Our asian pear tree we planted last year has tons of new buds!  


The rhubarb is starting its 3rd year and is just starting to peek up.  


I want to say that gardening is a learning process and I am FAR from an expert.  I think the great thing about staying in one place for multiple years though helps you really learn your lessons.  I have found that certain plants hate certain areas, chickens have their own gardening agenda and plants need tending to become real stars. Each year I get a bit smarter with my planting, a bit more relaxed, gutsy.  

Today as I submerged my hands in dirt to plant loose strawberry roots (this is the third year we are planting and each year we have had little to no success...so fingers crossed!) and peas (these are the best to start gardening with, hard to mess up) I realize how much I have missed this evolving world, this connection.  

I am so excited for summer! for sun! for gardening! (to be truthful I am just as excited for hammocking...)

1 comments:

LeLo said...

Aaah, I love garden reflections like this, and reading about your growing garden confidence. It's like a grand experiment: some will work, some won't, but the seasons will change and you can start all over again. It really is a journey. That rhubarb looks like it's going to produce!

Post a Comment