RSS

Addiction Issues

So I have a slight addiction to coffee. I blame my native Oregon roots but I simply love everything about it. The smell, the act of waking up to it and especially drinking it. I love how it warms me and wakes me up at the same time on cold winter mornings (or evenings for that manner..). Though in these hotter months I find myself wanting some coffee but my sweat and need to reapply deodorant makes me hesitant to even turn on my coffee pot. After walking into a coffee shop and buying yet another cold brewed coffee drink I realized my addiction is starting to affect my life (and my bank account!). I started rooting around on good ol' google and found an amazing discovery! I can have my refreshing cold coffee at home! The best thing about it? I don't need to buy a gosh darn thing...Just need your french press!

Its a simple recipe and can keep in the fridge for up to two weeks (sadly I make it about every other day.)

1 cup coarsely ground coffee
2 cups water

Pour this into your french press and stir once. Go do laundry/or think about doing laundry for about two minutes and stir one more time. Make sure all the grounds have been embraced by the water, cover and wait 12 hours. I have also done it at night and 8 hours seems to be okay just not as strong. Once time is up you just press the plunger down SLOWLY and with even pressure.

I usually pour this into a glass canning jar and usually leave out the last little bit from the french press...keeps the coffee grounds to a gritty minimum.

To enjoy just mix 1/4 part coffee to 1 part milk or water. If this is too strong for you just lower the amount of coffee you use. Then enjoy!

If you have not tried cold brewed coffee before its a real treat! There is almost no acidity and has a great flavor! You can play around with different types of coffee, even different strengths.

One last tidbit I have to share is my love of St. Johns Coffee Roaster. They are a small company that only gets beans from families they know, mostly personally. I love getting their newsletter where they share stories about the various farmers. It really takes fair trade to another level. Also (and probably my favorite thing) they deliver FREE of charge to the 97203 zip code. Its lovely! I wake up Wednesday morning to a bag of freshly roasted beans...does it get any better??

Lacy

0 comments:

Post a Comment