RSS

Breakfast: Noon Style

We are not early risers.  Not even close...so on the weekends 11am is when we usually get up and for some reason I had been dreaming all night of steel cut oats.  Even though they take a long time to cook and it was already close to noon when I started making them I just had to do it.  And people..I really outdid myself.

I didn't take pictures throughout because honestly I didn't know if it would be good...I apologize for that lameness.


PB& B. & J Steel Cut Oats

1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
3 cups milk
3 cups water
dash of salt

Mix milk, water and salt bring to boil.  Throw in oats.

Boil for 12 mins.  You will pretty much have to stir constantly at this point.

Then turn it down to a simmer for 20 minutes.  You only have to stir every couple of mins at this point.

Then add:
             -cranberries, whatever amount looks good.  I probably added around 1/2 cup.
             -2 thinly sliced bananas (this way they kind of melt into the oats....)

Simmer for 10 more minutes or until it tastes good to you.  This amount of time will leave a little crunch to your oats but let it cook longer if you want them really smooth and creamy.

Turn off the heat and then stir in some peanut butter..I probably added a half cup.  You could really use any nut butter you liked.  If it is a smooth one I would throw in some crushed peanuts or almonds to add some texture.  I had some crunchy peanut butter that did the trick.

Then add 3 tbs. of chia seeds (this is optional) and stir it all together.

When you dish it into the bowls I added some cinnamon and jelly on top.

YUM!




Should make at least 4 servings and to be honest the original recipe said it made six...though it never has in our household..

Also you can double the batch and it cooks in the same amount of time.  I usually do that on the weekends and then put into individual servings in the fridge for the work week.

Enjoy!

Lacy

0 comments:

Post a Comment