RSS

Not for the faint of heart.

This is going to be a post that makes me cringe later.....the kind where I should do research, attend some lectures, or at least ask some folks but it is past 10 o'clock and I have a million things to do yet this topic has been nagging at me for awhile......

But it is so big and I know so little that I just ignore it but again was reminded that even though I ignore it doesn't mean it will go away.

The Topic: Sex Trafficking of Minors.

A couple of years ago I attended a presentation given by fellow students who had their internship at a site that worked with young girls who had been victims of this horrible crime.  I kept waiting to hear what third world country they had gone to and for how long...only to almost die when they stated it was a MAJOR deal here in Portland.

Here?!!? Where we have sewer systems, public assistance, and free education?!!!??

I was even more surprised (I was, am, so ignorant...) that it was not just low income girls getting abducted...oh no.....every class can be a victim of this crime.



300,000 American Children are at risk of being victims of Sex trafficking EVERY YEAR.



My next question was: How does this happen?!!?

And here is some facts I know (and there is probably much better sites out there to learn more):

Many times the pimp will woo the young teen: so be aware if your child starts coming home with new clothes, bag, shoes, whatever!.  These pimps are super psychologically savvy and use this time to convince the teen that they love them and will take care of them.  Once the teen has bought these lines and runs away the pimp will pump them full of drugs, separate them from all human contact and break them down.

....................................


Only to rebuild them up with the believes that no one will love them anymore now that they are dirty, that if they bring in enough money the pimp will choose him/her (the lie of eternal love), and with a drug addiction so fierce that the teen doesn't know up from down and is constantly looking to get their next fix.



Now imagine all of that happening to a 12 year old you love.



Heart wrenching.




The hardest part is that the pimps constantly move these young teens around so it is almost impossible to find them.  Once they are found they are so brainwashed that they will run from cops, refuse treatment and even break out of treatment/family homes once back.

The reason this topic is so heavy on my heart is easy.  I was once a 12 year old girl.  I know many young kids and I feel that many parents don't know the signs and are not aware how dangerous it is here, in our hometown, in our neighborhoods.

There is a screening of a movie that hopefully will enlighten and educate many on this subject  on April 8th.

PlayGround

Click the link for more info.

The worst of some of my exploring the internet for more information was a line that Ashley Judd, who is their spokesperson, asks:


"Who are these men who buy children for sex?" asks Judd. "They are our fathers, they are our brothers, our husbands, uncles, cousins, and friends...it is so common."


Horrifying and haunting.  


So no I don't have a happy ending, or some "make it good" statement.  Personally I need to gather more knowledge and look around to see what I can do.


Though tonight I can do this and hopefully you too can start to investigate.  


Lacy 



0 comments:

Post a Comment