RSS

Musings.

I just finished watching The Pianist, I know I am 5 years too late to the party but what an amazing movie!  At the end of it I find myself wondering what I would have done as a German.  Would I have said No? Would I have sat by trusting my government to do the right thing? Would I have believed the rhetoric bullshit?

I cannot answer for sure.

I know what I hope I would do, but I clearly have never been in such a situation and I can only hope that I never have to know for sure.

As the Mister and I were talking about it we started talking about how genocide still takes place all the time.  Sometimes in the same extreme manner which is both as horrifying and degrading as what took place with the Jewish & their allies.  Yet sometimes this takes place in much subtler ways..........

Which I worry & predict will end up with much more horrifying results.

I have long worried peoples' ignorance and the lack of feeling connected to one another will be our downfall.

A couple of years ago I witnessed violence against random individuals where a Max full of people sat by and ignored.  2 people out of 200 said "no, enough".  I was embarrassed to be apart of the 198 that sat by asking myself...should I say something?  Should I mind my own business?  Do I really want to get involved?  That moment is one where I cringe and would give good money for a do-over.

Instead of wallowing I will learn from this moment and vinge to never repeat.

This feeling of separateness from our neighbors is the start of bad things, I can feel it in my bones.  It is the epidemic sweeping the nation with no remedy in sight.

Every time I see someone in the grocery store wearing ear buds instead of making eye contact.........
Every time I hear of someone not voting because "one vote doesn't matter anyway".....
Every time I hear of yet another death of a teen because of bullying....

Turning a blind eye has lead to millions of deaths over nothing but ignorance & hate.

When will we learn from past mistakes?

I hope that I am wrong.  I hope that the revival of neighborhood, community schools, and even homemade brews changes this.

But tonight I start to examine my own life and the world around me to make sure I play no part to hate & ignorance.

Lacy

1 comments:

Lindsey M Nelson said...

Wonderful food for thought!

Post a Comment